Sunday, December 27, 2020

I Skied My Age in Kilometers and am Too Tired to Write About It!

OK, maybe I can write one or two things. 

At about halfway -- still smiling! 

I did my SYA the day after Corrine. I skate skied it. The first time I ever did the whole thing on skate skis. If I ever do that again, I should train for it. 

A little over 10k to go. Not excited about climbing Heartrate Hill on the White Bear Trail.

I was lazy. I didn't start skiing until 6 a.m. or so. But then I got it into my head to ski every trail groomed for skate skiing at Birch Hill, including all the cut offs. That helped motivate me, but I ended up having to ski more than I had planned (64 kilometers, and I'm only 60). Plus I had to finish my ski by going down the Sonot Connector and up Cliffside. Dumb! Big temperature inversion. The trails down low had almost no glide. I walked and herring-boned Cliffside more than I skated. 

Happy to be done, but damn tired! 

Highlights: 
  • Got the trails to myself for the first few hours! 
  • Got to work on my V2 a lot. 
  • Saw the SCUM skiing group -- twice. When I told them what Corrine had done, they said I should have gotten up earlier. 
  • At first I started doing the cut-offs in a purist fashion (i.e. completing a loop on the trails. Toward the end I started cheating sometimes, just doing an out-and-back on some cut-offs. I was tired! 
  • Some stumbles, but no falls! 
I did it today. Now I'm too tired to write anymore. At some point we need to stop doing this foolishness!
Be sure and read Corrine's post about her Ski Your Age, too.  It's the previous post to this one.



2 comments:

  1. Damn, 40 miles on skate skis. Nice work! Both you and Corrine continue to set the bar high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just following! When I started complaining she said I talked her into it. When we drilled down, she admitted that my "talking her into it" was when I said, "Ski Your Age is happening again. Are you going to do it?" I'm such a salesman! :-)

    ReplyDelete