Sunday, March 6, 2022

Chena River To Ridge 2022


Post by Corrine

I really needed to eat. Really. 

I was 16 miles and three and a half hours into the Chena River to Ridge 26-miler and had eaten only a couple of Fig Newtons. I needed some more calories. I stopped at the race checkpoint and drank half my water bottle then got out a GU. My stomach didn’t feel great, but I figured I could down a GU. But as soon as the GU hit my tongue, I had a gag reflex. Oh, oh! 

I quickly spit out the GU into a plastic bag and tried to calm the reflex. Too late! All the water that I had just drank came back up. The volunteers were helping other racers who had stopped. I don’t think anyone noticed me throwing up. At least, I hope they didn’t. No one said anything. 

All that food and I couldn't eat any of it

As soon I was done getting sick, I got ready to go. No point in spending more time at the checkpoint since I couldn’t eat or drink. I still had 10 miles to go but it was mostly downhill so I knew I could finish. But I would be a lot slower with no calories for fuel. Oh well, just another day on the Chena River to Ridge.


The Chena River to Ridge race, put on by Endurance North, has two distances: 26 and 55 miles. It starts at Twin Bears Camp near the Chena River in the Chena River State Recreation Area. The first loop follows the Colorado Creek and Compeau trails. After 8 miles of relative flat, it climbs high up a ridge. After following the ridge for several miles, it goes mostly downhill back to the start. The 55-mile racers do a second loop out the Stiles Creek Trail, with an even steeper ascent and descent, before following the Winter Trail back at the start.

View from up on the ridge

This race is multi-sport. Racers can choose to bike, ski, or run. I have done both the shorter and longer distances by ski and bike for a total of five times. Eric has done the race six times. He has skied and biked both distances and has even kick-sledded the shorter distance twice. This year he wanted to run the 26-mile, since it was the only discipline he hadn’t yet done, but he injured his calf in January. He was getting better but was getting in more skiing than running as he nursed it back to health.

Bikers start 15 minutes before skiers and runners

I hadn’t planned on doing the race this year. But then a month ago my friend, Sarah, called to get advice. She was going to ski the 26-mile distance for the first time. After I got off the phone with her, I thought, “What the heck! I might as well sign up to ski the 26 miles, too.” I figured it couldn’t be slower than last year when the trails had three inches of fresh powder. I checked the race website and saw a few spots were available, so I signed up before I could change my mind. 

A week before the race, Eric finally came to his senses and switched to skiing. Smart decision! He had been clinging to the idea that he could still run the 26 miles, but that hope was fading with his lack of training miles. A report of soft trails by the race directors finally clinched it. 

So, even though neither of us planned to ski the 26-miler earlier in the winter, we both left the starting line on skis. 

Sarah, Eric and I ready to start our race on skis

It was a beautiful day to be out skiing. The temperature at the start was about 15F. The first 8 miles to Colorado Creek Cabin were well packed and fast. The typical overflow along Colorado Creek Trail was almost nonexistent. 


I took off faster than Eric, which is typical. I led a group of five women skiers for a few miles. Sarah had planned to ski with me, but when some of the faster women finally passed me, I told her to go with them. She did, but felt a little bad about it. I didn’t. I wanted her to ski her own race. She ended up finishing about 1.5 hours in front of me, so I’m glad she went ahead. 


The trail got softer on the long climb up the ridge. I had a hard time getting kick in the slippery snow, even after rewaxing with warmer wax. Things were worse for many bikers, who had to do a lot of pushing. I passed several on the uphill and many never passed me back even though the downhill had a better trail. Skiing was the way to go this year. Eric had better kick and caught me near the top of the climb. He was looking strong and having no calf issues. I knew he was faster, so I let him pass and didn’t see him again until the end. 

Eric, looking strong on the uphill, passes me

Even without Sarah and Eric, I had a lot of race company. I went back and forth with several people. That spurred my competitiveness with unfortunate consequences. I pushed hard, but I didn’t want to stop for food and drink. I think that’s why my stomach shut down. I know better, but it takes time to stop and get your gloves out of your ski straps! I didn’t do it and paid the price. 

I was back and forth with Lynn for several miles

After the checkpoint, the trail has a long descent with some tight corners. Luckily, there are some short dips that help slow your speed because this year the snow was fast. I managed to stay upright until my ski tip caught something on the side of the trail. I immediately went splat right on my chest, landing on a water bottle that I had in my front fanny pack. It knocked the wind out of me. I had to lay there for a moment catching my breath. I bruised my ribs on the water bottle but had no other real injuries. After that, I was much more cautious and managed to stay upright. 

But the fall took its toll. My ribs started to get sorer with every deep breath I took. And I still couldn’t eat. I was able to eat a bite of stroopwafel but just barely. So, I just kept getting slower and slower. Several people passed me in the last 3 miles, but I didn’t chase them. I didn’t have the energy.

I finished in just over six-and-a-half hours. That was 30 minutes faster than last year, but it felt almost as hard due to the slippery snow conditions. (By the end of the race, the temperature was around 30.) And I finished happy! I wasn’t going to let a little rib pain and lack of calories stop me from having a good time. What could be better than spending a day outside in beautiful weather on beautiful trails with like-minded people. Plus, my stomach finally settled down, so I was able to eat a grilled burger at the finish. Life is good!

Eric finished in just under six hours, also feeling good...and hungry. He ate a burger, two hot dogs, a chicken sandwich, a pastry, and drank a beer! He nicely went back to get the car where we parked it at the Compeau Trailhead, so Sarah and I didn't have to do any more skiing. 

Eric finishing

Crossing the finish line

This is such an amazing race.  It has been put on the last few years by race directors Nikki Potter and Ryan Kabat. They have done such a great job with growing this race and making sure all racers have an awesome day on the trails. 

Nikki

Ryan
And thank you to all the volunteers who came out to help with grooming the trails, manning the checkpoints, grilling food after the race, and making sure that all the racers were well taken care of. The race wouldn’t happen without you all. We racers really appreciate how much work you do so that we can have a day of fun!

26.5 miles with 3000 feet of elevation gain



1 comment:

  1. You are both incredible! Glad that the fall didn't hurt TOO bad.

    ReplyDelete